Orkney Aspects Independent Holiday
A 4 Day Independent Holiday departing on Tuesdays from either Aberdeen or Scrabster.
- Orkney’s Magnificent World Heritage
- Warm Island Hospitality
- Breath-taking Landscapes & Coastal Panoramas
- Discover Five Magical Isles
- Taste of Orkney
- Explore Orkney’s Rich Tapestry of Archaeology, History, Wildlife, Culture, Folklore and Spirituality.
More detailed information on each day of this holiday can be found in the expandable tabs below.
Travel to Orkney on-board a cruise ferry and check into your comfortable accommodation for three nights.
Meet your driver-guide for your discovery of the delights of Orkney’s South Isles and East Mainland. Begin with a leisurely drive through the scenic landscape of the East Mainland to Mull Head nature reserve and enjoy a short walk to the Gloup, a dramatic sea cave.
Travel along historic Scapa Flow, one of the largest natural harbours in the world and the British Navy’s main base during World War I and World War II. Cross the first of the four Churchill Barriers, a series of causeways linking five Orkney Islands together, to the tiny island of Lambholm where you visit the exquisite Italian Chapel. Built by Italian prisoners during World War II, it stands today as a symbol of peace and is one of Orkney's most beloved treasures.
Then, stop in at the Orkney Wine Company and sample their delicious wines made from traditional Scottish recipes with fruit, flowers and vegetables, many of which are grown locally.
Continue across the remaining three Churchill Barriers, flanked by the wrecks of the World War I merchant block-ships, to the picturesque village of St Margaret's Hope on the Island of South Ronaldsay. Take time to visit the Smiddy Museum and discover the village blacksmith's role in rural communities or to find stunning local arts and crafts at the Workshop & Loft Gallery.
Visit Honeysgeo Beach for views of the seal colony before returning to Kirkwall.
For your evening meal, we will reserve a table at a delightful restaurant where you will have the opportunity to sample a true Taste of Orkney. Enjoy our delicious local cuisine, including Orkney’s renowned cheese, beef, lamb, fish and seafood as well as fresh produce, delectable ice cream, and award-winning whisky.
Meet your driver-guide again and depart on your journey through the rich archaeological landscape of Orkney’s West Mainland.
Travel along historic Scapa Flow again and then step off the beaten path at Unstan Tomb, a unique Neolithic hybrid cairn incorporating both a burial chamber and stalls. Allow your imagination to soar as you are transported 5,000 years back in time by your guide.
Continue with visits to the remarkable World Heritage sites of Orkney’s Neolithic Heartland, including Maeshowe, a Neolithic chambered tomb considered one of the finest architectural achievement of prehistoric Europe; the imposing Standing Stones of Stenness, one of the earliest stone circles in Britain, dating back to 3,000 BC; the ceremonial Ring of Brodgar, a magnificent circle of originally more than sixty stones erected over 4,500 years ago; and Skara Brae, truly awe-inspiring and the best-preserved prehistoric village in northern Europe.
Your Orkney Independent Holiday Includes:
- Return cruise ferry sailings to Orkney
- Hotel accommodation with private facilities for 3 nights
- Driver-guided small group tours of:
- Orkney’s West Mainland
- Orkney’s South Isles & East Mainland
- Admission to sites as outlined
- Land transfers
- 3 breakfasts including full Scottish and continental options
- Holiday Concierge Service
- CO2 Offset for travel within the UK (non-refundable)
Excludes meals other than those specified, items of a personal nature, travel insurance, and gratuities.
Single supplement from £328
- Prices quoted are per person and are a guide only. Please contact us for the exact price of your chosen departure date.
- This holiday is independent and unescorted. It is not a group departure and is subject to availability at time of booking.
- Terms & Conditions apply.
- Do you have questions?
They may be answered in our Independent Holidays Frequently Asked Questions.